Think Into the Woods...But Make It Fashion

 I know, I know. It's already November and we haven't even had Thanksgiving yet but you're already singing Christmas songs in the kitchen. But seeing as Halloween was only a few nights ago, I feel like I can be forgiven for posting my family costumes anyway.



   So, in a super abbreviated and mostly photographed blog post, here is our family halloween costume series 2018. I will make my family dress in themed costumes until they stage a coup. And even then I will declare martial law and force them to do it anyway. This year's theme was built around the idea of Gillian being a bunny. 




 The masks were a DIY success made from felt and glued onto foam masquerade forms found at Joanns. I do have some artistic ability so I was able to create the patterns I was looking for but inspiration for all of the animal masks can be found 

 here.

As a baby who wouldn't wear a mask, Gillian was exempt from our mask party but her outfit was completed from the following stores: 
Shoes: Piper Finn
Leotard: Leotard Boutique



As for me, the greatest hope for me was to create a high-low tulle skirt that would complete the woodsy-fashion theme I was going for. Having no sewing ability myself, I enlisted my sister to help me along and we followed a simple blog and made a varied version of a simple circle skirt following this tutorial, I promise, if we can do it, anyone can do it. We googled anything we didn't know and used the thickest kind of elastic you can buy to create a forgiving waistline and voi la!
The booties I have had forever but similar once (prime eligible) can be found here.



The Fur was a remarkable find in the craft section at Joanns. I assumed I would have to buy faux fur fabric and create everything I wanted from scratch, but thankfully I did not. They make faux fur that already has backing and they sell it in strips. Thank Goodness. So a little elastic sewed onto a strip of fur and you have cuffs! A little fur sewed together with batting inside it and you suddenly have a fox tail and a wolf tail. Pair it with your Amazon thermal pajamas  and not only do you have an immediate and reusable costume, your kids now have new pajamas. You're welcome. 



Thanks for sticking with me through this quick blog post. I am a hug fan of family themed Halloween costumes so as the holiday approaches next year I will try and post more ideas of costumes we have done in the past and family ideas. In the meantime, I have some Thanksgiving day traditions I want to try out this year and a super exciting month ahead. Have ya'll heard of "No Shave November" where men decide to become werewolves for no reason because they have nothing to do between Halloween and Christmas? Yea, our family isn't doing that. But I took that idea and applied it to our family and we are having..........."No Spend November". Yes you read it right. How amazing does that NOT sound? Just kidding. I am actually very excited to help our family spend more time together and I am finding out there are so many fun family activities you can do that don't cost anything at all! I know it is only the second day so the enthusiasm is still fresh but I think the No Spend will have a great impact on our gratitude and our budget and I will have a full report for you at the end of the month. Oh, and Happy Halloween! 

Comments

Popular Posts